Nobody has to live with problems such as frequent urination, an enlarged prostate gland, and the threat of prostrate cancer. There are several powerful herbal treatments that alleviate most prostate problems without the side effects or expense of modern medical treatments.
Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners, European herbalists and practitioners of Aruveyda or traditional Indian medicine all developed highly effective natural herbal treatments for prostate problems. Many of these treatments are available today as supplements.
There are two important things to remember about these treatments, first they may not always be effective. Serious prostrate problems may still require modern medical treatments and surgery. Second it will usually take some time to get relief, most prostate problems result from mineral deficiencies, infections and other underlying health problems that might take weeks or months to clear up.
Yet a regimen of some of these herbal supplements combined with a good diet, plenty of exercise and a healthy lifestyle can help you live without prostrate problems. Nobody needs to be spend his or her life in pain, constantly running to the bathroom and living in fear of prostate cancer.
Some of the Best Herbal Treatments for Prostate problems include
• Nettle Root Extract – Extracts made from tinging nettles have been used to treat enlarged prostates, also known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH in Europe for decades. It is also widely used as a treatment for urinary tract infections which can also be a cause of prostate problems. The available research indicates that Nettle Root Extract can slow the growth of prostate cells and reduce other symptoms. Scientists are not exactly sure why this occurs but they think it might have something to do with Nettles ability to encourage the production of testosterone and estrogen and other hormones. One possibility is that Nettles contain high levels of nutrients that can stimulate hormone production. It might also block hormone production which encourages prostate growth. Some health experts such as Dr. Joseph Mercola believe that excessive levels of testosterone might contribute to prostate problems. Scientists also think that Nettle Root Extract can reduce the levels of inflammatory chemicals in the bloodstream, inflammation might be one of the underlying causes of an enlarged prostate and related problems. This means that Nettle Root Extract is an excellent treatment for inflammation related conditions such as arthritis, hay fever, eczema, gout and psoriasis.
• Saw Palmetto – Extracts made from this fruit have long been used to treat prostate infections and BPH. Scientific research indicates that Saw Palmetto can shrink the tubes through the prostate through which urine passes. Like stinging Nettles it can relieve some prostate problems. There are several studies that suggest that saw palmetto can be an effective treatment for BPH. It has also been used to treat bladder problems, hormonal imbalances, pelvic pain. The most likely reason for this is that it fights or clears up infections that are the underlying cause of these problems. It does seem to have an effect on the sex drive and hormones. This means that saw palmetto might lower the production of hormones that can lead to an enlarged prostate. Dr. Mercola believes that Saw Palmetto might be able to block the enzyme dihydrotestosterone or DHT which promotes the creation of testosterone in the body.
Interestingly enough Saw Palmetto is one of the most studied and best documented herbal remedies. As early as 1879 Dr. J.B. Read of Savannah, Georgia, published one of the first papers on its effectives in a peer reviewed scientific journal. Read noted its effects on prostate health.
• Rye Grass Pollen Extract – The effects of this supplement are not as well document but there is at least one study which showed it can prevent frequent urination. One reason why this extract promotes prostate health is that it promotes full urination which cleans out the urinary tract and lessens the chances of infections.
• Pygeum – This extract which is made from the bark of the bark of the African plum tree has been used to treat urinary problems since Roman times. European naturopathic doctors often prescribe it for BPH. Studies have found that it can reduce frequent urination.
• Qian Lie Shu Wan – A Traditional Chinese remedy that translates into English as Prostate Comfort Pills. Long prescribed for a wide variety of problems including hyperplasia, enlarged prostate, frequent urination and blood in the urine. It is actually a potent cocktail of several powerful Chinese herbs including Dong Gua Zi, Shu Di Huang, Yi Yi Ren, Shan Zhu Yu, Shan Yao, Mu Dan Pi, Cang Zhu, Tao Ren and Ze Xie. Five to seven pills a day taken for ten days a can relieve prostate problems. This should only be taken if other remedies are not working.
Overall Prostate Health
Dr. Mercola recommends that persons suffering from prostate problems combine herbal remedies with foods rich in lycopene. Lycopene is a nutrient found in foods with a rich red color such as tomatoes. Eating large numbers of raw foods rich in lycopene can clear up prostate problems.
Common foods rich in lycopene include:
• Pink Grape Fruit
• Pink guava melons
Adding several servings of these foods to your diet every day can help prevent prostrate problems. Tomatoes are the best source of lycopene because the level of the nutrient in them increases when they are cooked. That means canned tomatoes, tomato juice and tomato sauce are excellent sources of lycopene.
Increased lycopene intake combined with herbal remedies can improve your prostate health. You should be careful though if the problem doesn’t clear up or gets worse you should seek medical treatment. You should also seek medical treatment if there’s a lot of pain involved.