It is a little hard to believe but oxygen can be very bad for your body. Yes, we need oxygen to live but oxygen can also turn certain chemicals and substances in the body into free radicals.
Free radicals are molecules that can damage cells and cause all sorts of health problems. Research over the half century has linked cancer, heart disease, arthritis, chronic pain, impaired brain functions, mental illness, and weakened immune systems to free radicals. There is even evidence that indicates free radicals can damage DNA and lead to problems such as cancer.
Many of us have bodies loaded with free radicals because of poor diet and environmental pollution. That’s one of the main reasons why so many people are suffering from such health problems as cancer, dementia, chronic pain, fatigue, heart disease, and chronic infections.
Antioxidants Can Stop Free Radicals
Fortunately, a class of supplements called antioxidants can prevent or limit oxygen and even help the body repair some of the damage caused by it. The best antioxidants are natural and herb-based.
Five natural herb-based antioxidants that can reverse the damage done by free radicals include the following:
- Black Ant Extract also known as polyrhachis extract. Okay, calling this powerful supplement an herb is a stretch because it is actually made from ants. But it is considered an “herb” in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Black Ant Extract is a powerful antioxidant but it is also a highly concentrated and potent source of zinc and protein which can help the body repair a lot of the damage done by free radicals. Black Ant extract has been used to treat infections and the symptoms of aging for centuries in China. Learn more about Black Ant Extract here.
- Turmeric. This peppery spice made from the roots of the Curcuma longa plant is what gives mustard its yellowy color. Also known as Indian saffron, Turmeric has long been used as an anti-inflammatory agent in Chinese and Indian medicine. Turmeric has traditionally been used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis. These problems are all caused by inflammation which can be caused by free radicals. It can also inhibit the growth of cancer cells which is fueled by free radicals.
- Cayenne Pepper. This potent spice actually shrinks blood vessels in your nose and throat which relieves congestion. It can also be used to treat shingles pain and diabetes related nerve pain. Cayenne is a known antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent and it is so effective that researchers are looking into using it as a cancer treatment. It might even help reduce blood sugar and help prevent Type II Diabetes.
- Coriander. This popular herb which is also known as Chinese parsley is a well-known treatment for irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea. Coriander also acts as an antioxidant. It is also a powerful antibiotic that can kill bacteria including E. coli. This powerful antioxidant might also help lower cholesterol.
- Sage. This popular spice has actually been shown to enhance memory in individuals and to protect the brain from Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. It has even been shown to increase brain functions in healthy adults. That indicates this herb could be one of the most powerful antioxidants around. Researchers are also testing it as a diabetes treatment because it can boost insulin levels and reduce blood sugar levels.
These herbs are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to combating free radicals. There are dozens of natural herbs with antioxidant properties out there. Many of them have been used for centuries in Traditional Chinese Medicine and traditional Indian Medicine.
You can use these herbs either as supplements or simply add them to your cooking. Either way, you could greatly reduce your risk of developing some serious health problems.